St Michael's
C.E. Primary School

Believe, Achieve, Succeed

The History of our School

The history of our school goes back further than that of most Birmingham schools. In 1832 the trustees of Northfield Charity School (Bartley was in the ancient parish of St Laurence, Northfield) paid for a school mistress to teach children at Bartley Green School, six girls free, any others paying. The school would have taken place at a house in the hamlet. This closed in 1844 as the pupils transferred to Bartley Green National School which opened that year.

That school had started life as a Sunday school in 1840, becoming Bartley Green Church of England Day School in 1844. Here around fifty pupils were taught by one untrained mistress. Children were prepared here to go on to Northfield Charity School which had been established in 1758. The school was rebuilt and enlarged in 1871 with accommodation for 165 children. In 1884 the infants moved to a new school with room for a hundred children in Field Lane north of St Michael's Church. The school was reorganised for juniors and infants only in 1931, for infants only in 1951, and the building was closed 1954 when the new St Michael's Church of England Primary School opened on Nantmel Grove.